Using Just Your Hands!

Tired of ads
on this site?

Gun **** in America

Discussion Forum on Show It Off

Page #4

Pages:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6  

Started by #495558 [Ignore] 01,Oct,15 18:01
First of all, I love guns. I own several and love to go shooting. For me, gun control is a nice tight pattern on the target. Or, my right index finger. I have always respected guns and never in a million years thought of turning one on an unarmed civilian population. I think that is the very definition of cowardice.

I am however interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the matter. Specifically, as it pertains to these mass shootings that keep happening. I don't see gun control or background checks stopping these from happening. It may help to some degree but that is not the end all solve.

In my opinion, and this is not meant to make light of the situation at all, is we have a country full of pussies. To make that sound more professional, I think this country is full of entitled people who think they deserve everything and don't want to work for anything. It is full of politically correct bullshit and kids who don't get graded in school and everyone gets a trophy. Well, that is not how the real world works. We all know this to be true, good bad or indifferent. It just isn't real.

These kids attend college etc and live in this bubble. When they enter the real world the smallest of offenses or setbacks sends them off on a rampage. We have failed to set boundaries and realistic expectations.

Again, just my opinion. You can post anything you want here.

New Comment       Rating: 1  

Comments:
By phart [Ignore] 31,May,21 20:34 other posts 
only registered users can see external links

By leopoldij [Ignore] 26,May,21 12:51 other posts 

Sad. But if people there had more guns and if they were ready to shoot this wouldn't have happened. It appears that, in the US, is not enough to have guns. You must be constantly ready to shoot otherwise how can you prevent someone who has planned the killings? I think that people should buy more guns. In fact, the government should give them to people for free.
By #623135 26,May,21 22:12
What I don’t understand is the argument that having a gun will protect you. In the US anyone that has a clean record can own a gun and carry it, yet, we never hear, or almost never hear, that a bunch of possible victims took out their guns and killed the perpetrator. Why?
By phart [Ignore] 26,May,21 23:38 other posts 
It does happen.BUT the media does not cover those type storys because it does not go along with the liberal agenda.
There was a man in Texas I think that shot a man trying to kill people in a church a year or so ago but it was just a blurb. Not long after the church shooting in Charleston, the church my dad attends designated 2 people to be armed with concealed weapons during church services and 1 is usually walking the parking lot during the preaching.NO my dad is not 1 of the designated 1's. BUT it also helps that the preacher is also the police chief for a local town. So I feel sure he is the 3rd man.
The few storys that make it to limited media coverage are cases of home self defense.
By leopoldij [Ignore] 27,May,21 00:54 other posts 
It's really so sad to live in a dangerous country and to have to have guns even in churches! I do understand you need to be armed up to the teeth, but that's so nerve breaking.
By phart [Ignore] 27,May,21 09:24 other posts 
YOu are correct, it is a very state to be in when you can't walk into a house of worship with out that thought in the back of your mind, "what if".
Those poor people in Charleston let the guy into the church,and then he pulls a gun and kills numerous people.And the only thing the fucking media could focus on was the confederate flag on his coat I think it was.
No focus on church security,no laws passed for stiffer penalty's for house of worship incidents, nothing.
Pulling the flag down from capital grounds was thought to be the solution.

Just yesterday i spoke to a neighbor and he drives a dump truck hauling construction debris.He was in town near the hospital when a lunitic came running out of a office door,nurse chaseing him, right into the road,right in front of his fully loaded Peterbuilt weighing about 60,000 pounds. Thankfully well maintained so he had good brakes, barely got stopped before hitting the lunatic. He ran on accross the road, causing other vehicals to run off the road into the grass to miss him.
This same type of person, when they display issues,is taken to a doctor, given some "magic" pills ,allowed back on the street, only to come up with some diabolical scheme to harm others.
Lock up the lunatics' instead of medicating them,and the shooting would slow way down.
By leopoldij [Ignore] 27,May,21 09:34 other posts 
I get it now, I just hadn't realized how bad it is up to now. I was biased since (a) I never go to religious institutions (very few people here care about fiction, but that's not the case in the US) and (b) it's not dangerous here, insofar as gun violence is concerned it's practically absent (occasionally, we have hunter accidents).

Then, you've been right all along. If I were in the US I'd have to have guns. But since I can't use or stand having them, (I'm really scared of touching them even, I get panic attack if I see them, I switch off the TV when I see people shooting), I won't be coming to the US.

Well, good luck to you and stay safe as much as you can. When did you learn to handle guns? How come you're not afraid? Are you an army person by any chance?
By phart [Ignore] 27,May,21 12:28 other posts 
No military training.
I do have a friend who retired from the air force that has offered to teach me some since 1 of his jobs was teaching small arms while in the military.
Believe it or not,8 th grade in school we had Hunter safety training courses. they taught us how to carry a gun,and so forth.No actual guns in the classroom.it was lecture and films but still,training in school at a age where it was of value.
In high school,it was common for the folks that hunted and what not to have thier rifles in the back windows of their trucks ,pistols under the seats and on. Nothing was ever thought of it. Treated No different than a fishing pole

I do not own what is considered a assault weapon. They are not very accurate because the recoil after about the second shot causes the gun to rise up and before you know it you are bird hunting.
By leopoldij [Ignore] 27,May,21 22:01 other posts 
Different world and language. I don't even know what "recoil" means...
I've seen guns only in movies.
--------------------------------------- added after 31 seconds

And in museums

By Ananas2xLekker [Ignore] 17,May,21 05:58 other posts 
About 'Stand your ground' laws.
If you don't want to see all 19m17s, start watching from 10m39s for a good example.
By phart [Ignore] 17,May,21 07:12 other posts 
And the problem is?
A good neighbor,wow,rare.
People that don't agree with that fellows actions are the reason insurance is so damn high.And prison systems fail and are over crowded with rotating doors.Just another liberal that thinks everyone else but you is deserving of your hard earned property and life.

As I have ask here a 100 times, how are you supposed to protect yourself and property without a gun or other instrument?
By Ananas2xLekker [Ignore] 18,May,21 04:15 other posts 
Shooting some burglars in the back with a shotgun is a problem.
He was not protecting himself and he was not protecting his own property.
He is just a guy who really wanted to kill people.

Do you understand that an idiot like that can even mistake family helping his neighbors to move for burglars?

Stealing does not warrant a death sentence.

Do you see now that you're not pro-life?
And how can you still say "all lives matter"?
By phart [Ignore] 18,May,21 08:57 other posts 
What you don't seem to understand is the burglar made a lifestyle choice in stealing instead of working. Thus,showing the WORLD,he did not even value HIS OWN life.

What are neighbors for if you don't look out for each other?

IF you don't mind, tell us your response to seeing your neighbor's home being broken into and their hard earned stuff being carried out by a non deserving ,non working thief?

Would you run and hide in your safe place? Would you say, "Excuse me,that is not the latest model ,here take mine,it only cost a 100 bucks more and works so much better".

I might get some sort of answer from you,because sometimes you will take the time to answer,but when others are cornered,they seem to just turn silent,thus not bringing anything to the table as far as alternatives.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 18,May,21 09:24 other posts 
Phart how about calling the cops? No one has the right to be a vigilante. Cost of insurance is high because the burglar steals $100 worth of cash and valuables and the homeowner claims $10,000.
By phart [Ignore] 26,May,21 16:54 other posts 
Well case in point as a example.
A power line shorted coming into the house,sent 220 volts thru the 120 volt outlets.My computer,the microwave and 1 other thing,were ruined.I was actually woke up by the smoke boiling out of my desktop computer.When I bought the computer,it was 1300 bucks. it was 8 years old or so,worked great,I was happy.But it went up in smoke by fault of the power company not maintianing the trees near the power lines. The microwave,to replace it with a equal model to the 1 we had was well over 400 bucks.
The power company,in their exact words,as a courtesy,gave us a check for 125 bucks. Because the equipment was old and devalued in their eyes.Didn't matter that it was working and we were happy as clams before it went up in smoke with no intentions of replacing it until it failed beyond repair.So who had to absorb the loss? ME. WHY?
Same with a theif. What ever is here in this house right now is up to par with my needs. If it were stolen,I would have to replace it. Insurance ,again,would only give me a small penance of what it was worth.Again,why should anyone absorb the cost of a thugs lifestyle choice,other than the thug?

That is 1 reason why you need to read the fine print of your personal homeowners insurance or what not,because if it does not cover REPLACEMENT cost,then it is hardly worth the money
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 26,May,21 18:11 other posts 
Maybe your power company is different than FPL. When lightning hit the pole supplying my house, it took the stove oven control, the living room smart TV and my old Dell computer. They told me to call for service and get an estimate for the repairs and for replacement. The opted for the three items to have full replacement. They gave me a check and we went out and bought new range, TV and computer.
On the last hurricane, to hit full blown, was Andrew. My house sustained over $30000 worth of damage. Most of it was paid by the insurance. After that insurance companies don’t include wind damage in their policies.
Is being a burglar a lifestyle choice? Maybe in social democratic countries, where we have a reasonable safety net.
What you don't understand is that life shits on people more in your country.
You suffered yourself, but you don't understand the system in your country increased your risk for suffering and made your suffering worse. You didn't resort to crime, but some people will. We don't put those people in the same circumstances, so we have less people resorting to crime. They are just assholes with a job or assholes on unemployment here. They are causing less harm.

In your country people are left to solve their own problems. There are so many people in trouble and some do make the choice to be a burglar when life shits on them.
So actually in your country you can blame them less for making that choice, than the ones doing that in my country. But, we don't kill them. We call the cops and they don't kill them either. And still, we have less crime, less murders and less people in jail.

Being more tough on crime has never helped and will never help. You can try your way for ever, but you will only create more misery. You need guns to protect yourself and we don't. You then also suffer the consequence of many innocent people being killed.
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 09:02 other posts 
Your "way" does not work either or you folks would not have crime.
YES being a burglar is a lifestyle choice. NO one forces you to steal. YOU can choose to walk past a home,or stop and break in the door and take something that is not yours.
That is a choice that should be easy to make.Simply respect other peoples property and home.
IF people make the right choices,they can get along just fine.Yes,life took a shit on me,and no I don't go around stealing. I also had a choice of being a 400 pound dope head watching Jerry Springer all day but I didn't choose to eat all the high powered pain medicine being shoved in my face either. I chose to do the limited things I could do with knowledge I gained from high school and college and help my neighbors save a small fortune on labor for repair bills and parts.
By Ananas2xLekker [Ignore] 19,May,21 11:31 other posts 
Even though we have a reasonable safety net, it is also lacking a lot. People get the bare minimum to stay alive. They have no reason to resort to crime, but there will always be ignorant, angry, lazy and greedy people.
People who like to shoot those people lower themselves to their level.
Humanity should be able to first educate people to not become ignorant, angry, lazy or greedy and secondly minimize the damage of ignorant, angry, lazy and greedy people that are left, without killing them or filling up prisons.

Social democracy does a better job on that and manages to produce much less crime, murder, people in prison, prostitution, substance abuse, child abuse, unwanted pregnancies, abortions, and children growing up unguided.
In general we just live more fulfilling, happier lives.
Your form of late stage capitalism lets only a few people take ridiculous wealth, while the rest is struggling. And then you are surprised that some people don't give a fuck about anything anymore and just start taking whatever they can, however they can.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 26,May,21 18:14 other posts 
I commend you for taking the high road after your accident. Most people give up.
By phart [Ignore] 26,May,21 20:14 other posts 
I try,but sometimes it is depressing to watch others not try and still get by.
I recently met a fellow that got hurt on his job, workers comp denied his claim,can't work,has issues of all sorts with his back. He is good at sharping chainsaws,something for whatever reason I can't do.So he did 3 chainsaws for me. I had some old machines that I was going to repair for resale,haven't had the time,needed the space,loaded them on his truck this evening.A bit of tinkering that will be about 500 bucks he can rake in. If you try to do right by others,you may not have everything you want,but you won't lack for what you need.
By #623135 26,May,21 22:08
Again, commendable but what does that have to do with guns? I also don’t believe “the wrong life choices “ have anything to do with gun ownership
By phart [Ignore] 26,May,21 22:54 other posts 
NOthing really,just explaining a point.
But as far as life choices and guns, DUH< if you own a gun,you are able to choose to use it for protection or for wrong doing.The gun is not going to jump out of the drawer and go kill someone while you are asleep.You have to chose to pick up that gun and use it for the wrong reasons.and that is a lifestyle choice,the choice to be a murderer or a thief or a thug. OR you can choose to learn how to properly use the gun,how to carry the gun properly,how to legally use it for your protection and that of your family and freinds.Again, a lifestyle choice to be a responsible citizen
By #623135 26,May,21 23:21
If you own a gun. Ok, then explain why most people don’t own a gun.
By phart [Ignore] 26,May,21 23:36 other posts 
They made a lifestyle choice to be defenseless and dependent on others for their safety and well being.BUT no 1 taught them at a early age,when seconds count,the cops are only MINUTES away.You are free to choose here in the US to own a gun or not.

as for why I own a gun,self defense.I am not able to jump up and run,I am not able to physically beat the shit out of a robber,although it would feel good to vent the frustration!.
By #623135 27,May,21 08:14
It must be horrible to be in constant fear that you can’t run away from danger.
By phart [Ignore] 27,May,21 09:21 other posts 
Just as having a hospital nearby or having a second pair of underware handy in case of a non trustworthy fart,a gun can provide that feeling of added security.
By #623135 27,May,21 13:30
I........... I don’t know...

By leopoldij [Ignore] 20,May,21 17:17 other posts 

By leopoldij [Ignore] 20,May,21 17:14 other posts 
Some people have so many guns that they have to store them in their ass. Loaded.

Man sentenced after police find loaded gun in his buttocks during strip search.

By Chauncey_Street [Ignore] 17,May,21 18:15 other posts 
TWOWARM would you PLEASE watch this video, and watch it all?
And guess what...this happened in Florida, too.
How did the woman this hideous brute was after, even manage to survive?
She survived and won because she had a gun and she knew how to use it.

By phart [Ignore] 17,May,21 20:52 other posts 
HAhAhAhAhAHAHAAAA Well 1 things for sure, he was CURED of his anger issues!
By Chauncey_Street [Ignore] 18,May,21 01:29 other posts 
When the courts force to you take anger management classes, they make you pay for the classes out of your own pocket. I'm willing to bet that was one of the things that was pissing him off...that he had to pay up.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 18,May,21 09:37 other posts 
Chauncey_Street before I comment on this video, I would like more information. How did this man pick this house to break into. Why did he want to cause bodily harm to this woman? If a gun is needed for protection, why didn’t HE have a gun? I know you and Phart are laying a trap for me, so, I will walk into it and then I’ll make a comment.
It was fortunate for the woman to have a gun and had knowledge on how to use it. In her situation with the same options, I,too, would have killed the man. Hope that makes you happy..
NOW, TWO THINGS. First, I still believe guns kill many more people than they protect and they should be outlawed. Second, I think the woman should face manslaughter charges just as I believe I should too.
By phart [Ignore] 18,May,21 21:45 other posts 
Best i could tell he was a former husband or father to a kid inside from what I could hear of the news mans talking.
The woman was his children's mother, according to that video, so...he didn't pick a random house. I don't know why he was so angry. Obviously she likely would've ended up dead or stabbed and slashed-up but still breathing...maybe just barely breathing. Could you please tell me what she should have done in the situation, if she didn't own a gun?
Why should she go to prison for fighting for her life?
He had no business busting into her house. It's not like his heart was in the right place and he smelled smoke or heard screaming from within so he had good reason to do it. I don't know the answer to "Why didn't HE have a gun?".
I'd especially like to know what you think she should have done.
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 09:07 other posts 
Yes Please 2 warm,give us your input. A honest straight answer to questions like this presented to you and other liberal minded folks would go along way towards giving some credence to your ideas.You can't just throw away the only option,without offering others.
Had this guy had a gun, he could have just shot thru the windows and not even broke down the door. She knew her rights,and actually gave him several chances,count the kicks to the door,each 1 a chance to think,"this isn't working,I am late for class". and still be alive to day. He made a lifestyle choice to be a thug,and got his just reward.What if he had hurt a child? Is there any excuse for the mother not to be able to protect her young?
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 19,May,21 12:56 other posts 
Phart
You also did not read my post. I’m reposting this section.

Twowarmtts3
It was fortunate for the woman to have a gun and had knowledge on how to use it. In her situation with the same options, I,too, would have killed the man. Hope that makes you happy..

AND THEN I WOULD HAVE FACED THE CONSEQUENCES.
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 14:35 other posts 
I don't know that there is many consequences of defending 1's self as long as the evidence is this clear.
This particular video has caused me to consider getting a video security system.As the fact that he can be clearly seen breaking in the door,that clears the person in that dwelling of wrong doing in defending themselves..
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 19,May,21 12:50 other posts 
Chauncey_StreetYou asked and I’ll tell you. It’s good to protect yourself but you should know the consequences. Let me ask you a very difficult question. What if she had lifted her child in front of her to protect herself. Suppose the child died? She was protecting herself. If you were the District Attorney, what would you do?
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 14:35 other posts 
I would hope she was not that stupid. But if she held up a k1d to save herself,then I would say manslaughter or similar
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 19,May,21 17:36 other posts 
Why is that different Phart? She’s defending herself?
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 17:50 other posts 
A mother has a moral obligation to care for her children
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 19,May,21 17:58 other posts 
Moral obligation? What’s that?change his diaper?
By phart [Ignore] 19,May,21 23:28 other posts 
You are a mother of 3 I think you said,and you have to ask that question to maintain the dumb blonde look? That could be the only reason.As most any mother would do what it takes to protect their children Including you.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 20,May,21 07:34 other posts 
Phart yes. I would give my life willingly to protect my children. You take everything too literally. This was a way to show you that the killing of her ex is not necessarily something that should be accepted by the law. You said it was necessary and no questions should be asked. My point is that questions should be asked. My example, while extremely unlikely, made you think. Here’s two other examples. This is a true story documented by the Germans during WWII. In a concentration camp a mother was strapped to a chair wired to shock her at different levels. In another room her daughter age 15 could see her mom. She also was strapped to a similar chair. The daughter had the control of the electric current in her mom’s chair. She was told to shock her mother. The daughter refused. The daughter got shocked until finally she shocked her mother. Each time she was ordered to increase the current. To make it short, she k.i.lled her mother. The other example is when your life long partner is dy.ing of cancer and in great pain. The opium no longer works. He begs to be put out of his/her misery. You take his li.fe. You get arrested for murder. You say, “It doesn’t matter anymore what happens to me. My baby is in a better place. I’d do it again.”
In other words, do what you have to do but expect to account for it.

By admin [Ignore] 01,Oct,15 22:31 other posts 
I think this is a question of attitude, not of gun availability. In some countries people mostly kill themselves as a protest against society, in others they tend to kill other people. Does not correlate much with access to guns. People who are in military service have access to guns in any country, yet they mostly shoot themselves with those guns, killing sprees are rare.

In USA people tend to kill others for whatever reason. I won't speculate on why it is so.

I've been saying this for years - if you want to kill other people you don't need guns for this. Automobile can be easily made into murder weapon, you can make quite powerful explosives at home, or you can simply use gasoline. So, taking guns away won't solve the problem.

But sure, if you take the guns away from lawful people only outlaws and government will have them. I've been living in mostly oppressed countries all my life and I can tell you it's not pretty when people don't have means to defend themselves from armed criminals, crooked police and corrupted government.
By sherryann [Ignore] 01,Oct,15 23:04 other posts 
Yes, admin said it all! Taking away guns from lawful people, (people who own them legally), means only outlaws & government will have them. Perfectly said.
In my neck of the woods, every time someone is murdered, they blame it on "gun ****" and call for gun bans. How about holding the shooters accountable? In these cases, the shooter never owns the guns legally.
Also, reaching, I couldn't agree more with your statement : "political correct bullshit".
By #444412 02,Oct,15 23:10
As far as that "political correct bullshit" statement goes it looks like the newest soon to fail slogan hoisted by the right wing in the United States. (historical examples for your convenience: "class warfare", "don't tread on me", "Not a Step Back!", "Impeach Obama") When someone says, "People are too P.C. it's ruining our country." What was overheard by the smartest person in the room was along the lines of, "I am either too lazy to inform myself, or I lack the sufficient cognitive capabilities to understand and discuss issues in the public sphere, on a level that is on par with what is necessary to find a general consensus."
Check this out, sherryann.
Looks like he didn't get his way after all.
Yeah our country has plenty of savages in it. (Savages of all colors, all races.)
He got himself a knife, she had a gun, and guess who won?
Looks like a locked door doesn't help to protect a person, either. Notice how he didn't let a door stop him. This is what I'm trying to get through to TWO WARM...that people have to have guns to win in something like this or they'll wind up as the next dead victim.
For some reason, she doesn't believe me.
As for the "She could have shot him with a tazer or taser instead" argument...well, maybe...we don't know if that would have panned-out all in her favor though.

By sherryann [Ignore] 17,May,21 19:55 other posts 
Chauncey, thanks for sharing. Yeah good thing she was able to deaden him quick. Otherwise she would be dead. As far as getting through to twowarmtits, well, we all believe different. Like the old song, "Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on..." You maybe too young to remember that song.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 18,May,21 09:46 other posts 
Sherryann you don’t have to get through to me. Believe me, I see your side of the argument too.
That old argument, “ Taking away guns from lawful people, (people who own them legally), means only outlaws & government will have them.”
SO WHAT? Outlaws steal, kill, maim, and speed on I95. Now, go to a football game and tell me how many people are law abiding and how many are OUTLAWS. And as far as the government, when was the last time a governmental force broke into your house with guns and dragged you to prison?
Yes, we all have different beliefs, but, I’m convinced my way would save lives. Can you say the same no matter WHERE YOU LIVE?
By sherryann [Ignore] 18,May,21 18:17 other posts 
Twowarmtits, I am not trying to get through to you, I was responding to Chauncey Street who said he was trying to get through to you. In the link he provided had she not had a gun she probably would have been killed. I wish the family of little 4 year old Cash would have had a gun to stop the kidnapper & murderer recently. What are we supposed to do when attacked? Murders happen everyday we never hear about unless it's a police officer charged with murder. My family, neighbors, most everyone around me thinks like you do. You wouldn't believe what I've been through. I do think it does depend on where one lives as far as violent crime. Some places are just more violent. (Whether this answers your question or not, I don't know, but believe things are going to get worse before they get better.) Have a good evening.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 18,May,21 19:03 other posts 
I just hope not, SherryAnn
By tecsan [Ignore] 18,May,21 00:42 other posts 
I agree with all you stated...But remember a person ten feet away from a gun pointed at them, the knife will always win unless the gun holder shoots before any action takes place...That said, now let us cosider whether to buy a gun or a tazer, hmm some may be a little low on cash and if in the same boat I would choose a 40 any day over a tazer...
By #444412 02,Oct,15 22:46
You're right there is no correlation in those circumstances. But there is a correlation in the number of people killed by firearms and the number of people that use a firearm to kill themselves and the availability of firearms.

People who kill themselves, people who go on shooting sprees, and people that find those other ways to kill are spurred on by the same issue. Mental illness. So I think we would then both agree that one of the best deterrents for gun **** would be outreach and access to mental health care. But it doesn't look like the American healthcare system is equipped for that.

And I agree guns shouldn't be removed from lawful citizens. But those laws they abide by in the United States aren't very effective, let alone are they enforced. They have that disturbing "gun show loophole" where you can walk into a gun show and purchase any kind of weapon from another citizen and not have to register it. And having that kind of access to weapons drives those suicide and murder statistics through the roof.
By admin [Ignore] 02,Oct,15 23:45 other posts 
Statistics? USA has relatively low murder and suicide rate, especially considering how easy the access to guns is. It's mostly a show in media, not statistics. Mass shootings look scary and impressive, but they take way less lives than trivial domestic vio.lence without gun usage.

Look at this - only registered users can see external links

Russia has 2 times more intentional murders per capita and it has one of the strictest gun laws. Only 5 million guns, mostly hunting rifles per 150 million population. USA has many times more guns per capita yet twice lower intentional murder stat.

Brazil even worse. 5 times higher murder rate than USA. And in Brazil it's also difficult to possess gun legally. But population have a lot of ille.gal guns.
By #444412 03,Oct,15 00:47
You are right. Looking at the stats the correlation I thought was there isn't as strong as I had thought. The United States isn't the biggest drop in the bucket. But as homicides go it's not the only statistic that should be observed in order to paint the picture. As has been said before the issue is quite nuanced.

I direct you back to Wikipedia my good man-

In this wonderfully visualized data you will see countries represented gun deaths per 100,000 people. Obviously the US isn't the biggest dot there. But the point of data is not to see who was the biggest bar on the bar graph. Instead it is to see what we can interpret from that data. The countries with similar and larger numbers then the US for the most part aren't considered to be developed nations. In fact most of them struggle with civil wars, d_rug trafficking, political unrest, and many other contributing factors. The United States does not share any of those problems within it's boarders, yet it's gun deaths stand on par with those countries. On the flip side the smallest dots there have many developed nations with established gun control. The way America is going to cut down the number of gun deaths is by creating and enforcing restrictions on firearm ownership. Nobody needs to own 14 guns, like the UCC shooter. And anybody that thinks all guns should be banned isn't involved in this debate. People in the united states should have their right to bear arms, but they should also proven that they are responsible and safe gun owners by moving through the correct channels in order to own firearms.

The solution will be compromise, but it's unlikely America will be exercising that democratic value anytime soon.
By #495452 03,Oct,15 17:08
In America the majority of the v_iolence here is within the urban domain. Lots of times the statistics aren't even reported or even in the news. The media is selective by which incidents to report if it involves racial or religious implication..Detroit is a disaster with homelessness and starvation occurring all the time with people dying, yet there is nothing in the media to support this.. Chicago, outside the main tourist area is all homeless with nothing to eat..Freedom of the press is strictly restricted and monitored and the leaders are constantly lying to their people.. Do not be fooled by looking at documented stats because it is far from being accurate..
By admin [Ignore] 03,Oct,15 18:22 other posts 
I do not see how this is different from other countries. And trust me, you have it better than most of the rest of the world. In Cuba or Venezuela all government stats are completely made up and they don't allow other parties to gather them. At least in USA there are other parties that do stats gathering, other than government.
By #495452 03,Oct,15 21:55
There are pro's and con's with all of the countries and no country is perfect. You are correct that there is a lot of turmoil in Europe and it is bad everywhere.., especially in Ukraine where I met my spouse.// In many aspects I admire the Russian people, not the government but the people. When Germany attacked in WW2 it wasn't the Russian armies that won the war. It was the people. By far, they have shown the greatest example of what a country truly is during the invasion of Russia which included Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad. Knowing that Germany wanted to destroy not only them but to murder all Jews, the doctors that treated the German prisoners were Jews...My statements here are an example of what I am trying to point out that it is not the government that makes a great nation, it is the people.//////I understand that you have mentioned your native language is not English but I have the most respect of Eastern Europeans as being the greatest people I have ever seen or known.. They are tough survivors that put family first.. This is the strength of a country..Here is America the middle class are being destroyed, nobody except the rich can buy homes or go to school.. Our ch ildren are turning into zombies addicted to fantasies on ipod's and computers...Our president is giving 30 Billion dollars to support a terrorist regime to wipe out Israel which happens to be the best country in the world.It's all about doing the right thing and in my opinion what makes a nation great and free of crime and v_iolense is to educated them...We have the worst education in the world and in my opinion it is not by accident..
By admin [Ignore] 03,Oct,15 23:31 other posts 
It's true that middle class is being slowly destroyed in USA, but you are exaggerating that no one except rich can buy a house or go to school. In fact, comparing to South America, Africa and West and South Asia you are all rich. It's just that you got used to better life and it hurts now when you are falling down.

Also, people usually have the governments they deserve. Exceptions are very rare and mostly to better, not to worse.
By _avg_ [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 00:10 other posts 
> > Also, people usually have the governments they deserve. Exceptions are very rare and mostly to better, not to worse. < <

That's a very interesting and I think important point, admin.

This week, I read a comment by Bernie Sanders (who is running for President, here) to the effect that he doesn't understand why people in the USA seem to refer to "The Gov't" as if it's some foreign entity -- "The Gov't vs the People" -- when in a democracy the People *are* the Gov't; that *we* put the government in place.

I think some of the animosity extends from the sentiment by the minority that *they* are therefore not represented -- the Tyranny of the Majority, in effect -- but the rancor in this country seems to be amplifying, though perhaps through increased visibility in the media; as with my previous post, it seems that 'compromise' is viewed as a dirty word.

I guess I'd come back to the wisdom of Winston Churchill, who said that "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried..."
By admin [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 06:35 other posts 
Problem with democracy that it requires responsible and critically thinking voters. When voters in mass are stupid and irresponsible you will have ugly results - pretty soon you find yourself either in idiotic bureaucracy or dictatorship.
By #495452 04,Oct,15 22:13
Hi,
Yes people do not know what they are doing. If the choices are only a bunch of crooks to vote for with no leader candidates it leaves not much choice. The only way you become president here is if you have a lot of money with strong political ties.. 2000 as well as 2004 elections were rigged, that being Bushes **** rigging Florida in 2000 by not letting black voters cast. Jeb Bush did that and in 2015 he is running for president now while he is insisting to take armies into Syria and Iraq to clean up what George Bush made with his mess costing and depleting middle class once more...Meantime,,,, all that money that is being sucked up from middle class is not going towards better schools, hospitals, roads.. Our income is used for the higher class to invest in war. The middle class is literally a host to parasitic invasion constantly...To me, the country is run by the 1% elite in income, not the people as a whole therefore it is a totalitarian dictatorship...This has been going in since welfare was invented,,,before that is another story..The constitution is a lie and it always was.. The declaration of independence should be the declaration of slaughter of genocide..Now 240 years later our president is trying to do the same thing with the Jews... I mean C'mon,, I can sit here all night listing atrocities committed over and over starting with the period of the Mayflower... It has never improved over its history..It is not the peoples fault because its about trust and over and over again all they do is lie,, promise one thing then lie for the next 4 years..
By #444412 05,Oct,15 22:30
I don't really agree with your views on Iran's Nuclear deal and on Israel.

But you're completely right as far as moving the United States' funds out of the military. If even half of the military budget was re-appropriated into spending on education, social programs, infrastructure, and NASA. Within a generation the United States would be the world leader again.
By _avg_ [Ignore] 05,Oct,15 00:06 other posts 
There are many problems with democracy, but the crux of it is that, yes: the need for an informed and civil electorate.

As Winston Churchill also said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter...or a perusal of this thread."

By admin [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 08:56 other posts 
By #444412 05,Oct,15 22:41
Idiots vote for both parties. Just because the band wagon was on Obama's side, doesn't mean it won him the election (twice). And to say that the propaganda and election time rhetoric, that both politics parties employ, was what swede the vote towards the democrats. Makes Obama a "conman". You'd just be exposing yourself as an conspiracy theorist.
By #495452 04,Oct,15 03:12
I've lived in America my entire life.. I do not know if you have ever been here but I have hands on experience living here for many years. I have also traveled world wide. Born and raised here. Given the rules and regulations of our country only certain groups based on economic status have a realistic opportunity to go to college and succeed. There is evidence that points to areas such as computer science which the majority of the work f orce here is not american born but rather Asian or Eastern European migration because their education is superior.. You don't have to believe me and you are encouraged to respond of course.. If you look at the life expectancy here USA is 28th as compared to Scandinavian countries and Asian countries, Canada, Australia and yes even Cuba is longer.. As far as choosing our governments our people did not develop our structure but people that had the most power built the structures...The Iran deal in reply to avg. I have no idea where you get your information from because it was the Obama administration that chose to do business with Iran and it was supported by majority of the democrats to maintain the deal.. This is stil; in effect even before, during and after the deal is signed with Iran's continued threatens to destroy Israel and the United States. If you do not believe me you can listen to the PM Benjamin Netanyahu's comments. If this deal so much hurts Iran then why are they so quick to accept the deal considering the only motive they have in foreign policy is to destroy Israel and annihilate the Jews? I few years back Obama tried to take away Israels borders to pre 1967 and make them defenseless to enemies. The deal also gives an imbalance in the status quo with the cold war which still does exist thus making Israel defenseless and they do have nuclear weapon capability so you know now what could happen if Iran has advance weapons and tries to follow their threats from 1948...
By admin [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 06:50 other posts 
I worked in USA some time. Rest of my life I mostly live in piece of shit third-world countries. So I have something to compare it with. You live way better than most of the world.

And I told you not to trust Cuba stats. If they were living as well as their government claims they would not swim over to USA on air mattresses, risking their lives. Also, I've actually seen how they live. It only looks good within tourists zone. Get outside and you'll find people living with pigs inside their houses. And I don't mean teacup pigs.

Obama is a disgrace, no doubt, but your understanding of the situation and why is that so does not seem to be coherent to me.
By #495452 04,Oct,15 11:56
Its very sad to hear about terrible conditions as you stated. I have the instinct to protect ch_ildrens..Right now in USA there is no jobs because of our leaders shipping all of our jobs to India and Pakistan to give large corporations tax breaks on taxes. However what you say about it being worse in other areas I don't disagree. What I'm saying is that if you had a choice of either coming to Canada or the USA would be a no brainier. Yes, you are correct that Cuba falsifies documents and I have met many defectors including one that did defect to the United States back around 1980 when Castro emptied his prisons of political prisoners. This has oriented me on the conditions but what is ironic to me is why they are so talented and skilled in professions that they couldn't possibly achieve without proper education, such as pianists, doctors, x-ray technologists, ect..Why are they so much better than our domain of American born which is consistent?...Even in the Ukraine where there is repression of a war torn world why is there a consistent pattern where people know how to function in fields where as Americans we are just not able to compete? Over and over again I look on surveys on lists that show the top 25 countries to live in the world and I don't ever see USA as being even on the list, so I ask you,, what patterns do you consider a place to live that would be optimal such as bringing up a family? Obama wants to take away our guns of defense which is our right to bare arms as per the 2nd amendment for repression reasons as well as take away our rights. Sounds like he is trying to make it the same as in countries that repress their people such as Iran with the motives of committing genocide and global control of his select religion...
By admin [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 13:16 other posts 
Looking at recent tendencies all over the world I would seriously consider another planet to live on, if it was possible.
By #495452 04,Oct,15 15:36
I agree.... Your ability to communicate and write in English is impressive to me since it is not your native tongue..I'm sincere about this observation.
By admin [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 19:08 other posts 
I spent 10x more time writing same thoughts in it comparing to my native language if it's more than just a couple of sentences. Too exhausting.
By _avg_ [Ignore] 03,Oct,15 23:51 other posts 
Excuse me, however there are several statements here that need parsing, clarifying or correcting -- not least of which is the somewhat 'rose tinted' view of the Soviets during WWII -- but really the most important is where you say:

> > "Our president is giving 30 Billion dollars to support a terrorist regime to wipe out Israel which happens to be the best country in the world." < <

Six world powers, including the US, agreed to lift the sanctions on Iran's access to some of its own export monies, that we were sitting on until Iran agreed to a deal on nuclear weapon technologies, because that's precisely what Iran did.

The sanctions were breaking down, and since they were enacted to bring Iran to the table and agree to a deal, diplomacy worked; military intervention in Iran would have been the next step, an action few would endorse -- on either side of the conflict, or of the aisle.

We were never going to get full concessions in the negotiations, because that's the nature of successful diplomacy, and without a deal Iran's nuclear ambitions were unimpeded. I don't think there's much debate about how that would change the balance of power and outlook in the mid-East.

As it is, Iran is cooperating with the international community and under heavy pressure to comply -- and importantly, there is better scrutiny to be sure that they are. If we can find agreement on this, perhaps we could eventually agree on more.

Call me an optimist, but I can't help but hear an echo of the past in this statement...

> > "Our ch ildren are turning into zombies addicted to fantasies on ipod's and computers." < <

...which sounds a lot like what was said about the ch!ldren of the radio & TV era, who grew up to deliver us to the moon, provide affordable PCs in every household, and eliminate polio; or the ch!ldren of the PC era, who introduced us to genetic medicines, clean-energy technology and the internet; and the ch!ldren of the internet, who...

Do you get the picture?

I have little doubt that the promises of this generation -- of the eradication of diseases, of the reduction of our ecological footprint, of the improvements to the quality of life for increasing numbers of people, of the prospect for greater peace for *all* people -- I have little doubt these will be realized.

But it will be a rosy vision of the future, not of the past, that achieves it...
By leopoldij [Ignore] 04,Oct,15 07:21 other posts 
> > "Our president is giving 30 Billion dollars to support a terrorist regime to wipe out Israel which happens to be the best country in the world." < <

Really? Did someone say so? Best country in the world? Wow! Wow! What the fuck? What a statement! OK, no comments.
By #495452 05,Oct,15 11:55
Actually, a lot of people do so from the heart not what is logical. Their behavior has been incredibly honorable throughout history considering they have been a target for genocide for many generations. Yet with all of these threats of murder and ethnic cleansings they continue to live their lives and continue to support the human race for the better good.. If you look at stats, if you must--27% of all the Noble Peace prize awards have either been given to Israeli's or any other member that has roots to this country.. IN MY OPINION, yes they are the best country in the world...
By leopoldij [Ignore] 05,Oct,15 16:02 other posts 
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but there are some hard facts that are not compatible with it, starting, e.g., from the very creation of this country. I don't want to enter any political discussion. But I would never, ever, use the superlative "best" for anything. In *my* opinion, there is nothing best. It all depends on one's criteria and one's point of view.
By #495452 05,Oct,15 21:18
If you say so. But hey, its your nickel. It really doesn't matter to me if you took this personal because the person you are fighting with is you. You know the truth even though you won't admit it..If you want to go argue with people about the words they use go fight with your mother.. i don't care..
By leopoldij [Ignore] 05,Oct,15 22:46 other posts 
I'm not fighting. I pass.
By #435701 20,Nov,15 14:55
You are completely right in what you say, Sin306! It does expose the fact that there are really no answers to solve the problem. As long as Smith/Wesson, Ruger etc...are making big money for their shareholders...we in America will just have to live with the possibility that we ourselves may one day be in the proximity of a crazy person with a gun.
By #444412 20,Nov,15 18:04
Yeah, money tends to fuck things up.
By kupreanoff [Ignore] 17,May,21 01:57 other posts 
How many American gun shows have you purchased a firearm at sir ? Also we don't have gun registration . You must however pass a background check even at gun shows . There is no loophole . Firearm sales between private citizens is allowed however knowingly selling to a felon is against laws already on the books so one is prone to get information on buyers to protect yourself from legal issues . FBI statistics show extremely low numbers of firearms being purchased by felons . Most are stolen or are straw purchases . Also already against the law . If prosecuted properly a felon buying a firearm could spend the rest of his life in prison but that's not what gun control is about .
By #435701 06,Oct,15 13:25
Here's the flaw I see in your statement, Admin. And this comes from a gun owner that likes guns...Guns make it incredibly easy to kill lots and lots of people in a short time. They are concealable (even relatively big guns/full automatics) and incredibly deadly. Explosives and knives are deadly and concealable, but oddly, considering how easy it is to get guns, explosives are nearly impossible to come by (not talking about T. McVeigh and his OKC truck bomb) and require some knowledge to use and to build. Knives just can't match the kill ratio of a gun. And they are so MESSY! The killer will be covered in **** and will have his own injuries caused by the knife he is using as it gets too slippery to hold. AND it will be so much harder to use to kill yourself in your final act of complete cowardice!...the gun only requires eyesight, a working trigger finger and the off the Societal rails human that has lost all limits. Like we KEEP seeing OVER AND OVER!!!
I do agree about criminals and lawful people. It's a big problem in America...I am sure that IF guns were so readily available in other western countries, you would see the same no. of mass shootings as in this country. Australia had many mass killings by guns before the Gov't. took them away from basically everyone in the 90's. People really are not very much different country to country. It's only the artificial map drawn boundaries that give that appearance of difference. They all have the same types of personal problems. Paycheck to paycheck. Is the wife happy? Am I happy? How are we going to escape the everyday humdrum??...THOSE DAMN KIDS!!
--------------------------------------- added after 47 hours

I see I have NO replies to my post or any post! Why is that?? Because they make too much sense to argue with? Because I am a person no grata? Because I have not pictures??? Because...once again...they make SO much sense they cannot be argued with?
By bella! [Ignore] 08,Oct,15 22:02 other posts 
Here's a reply. .......
By #444412 08,Oct,15 22:06
The last addition to this post invalidated the rest of your opinion. And yes we tend to ignore members that don't actively participate via not posting images of themselves.
By #435701 09,Oct,15 12:17
You are quite right about my addition Sinjid306. Should not have made it...Does not invalidate my previous comment, which I stand by...But if I choose NOT to have pictures of myself on this site, that is my right. It's a hacker's World, after all. And ignoring members that don't have pages of genital pics, just sounds so much like segregation. Or High Schoolish, at least...Hi Bella! You surely cut me to the quick with that witty comment.
And this is the last comment I will make about this. As valid comments are clearly a waste of time.
By #444412 12,Oct,15 04:33
No problem we all say things we don't mean. Segregation would be a word for it, but that words holds a historical connotation. However you aren't being isolated for something you can't control. You're being isolated because the other members of the site just naturally dismiss those that don't post images of themselves. The spirit of the site is that you post images of yourself and then move from there. Hens the name showyourdick.org. If people think you're participating halfheartedly they will welcome you halfheartedly.
By Walker [Ignore] 12,Oct,15 21:32 other posts 
The dream is a big fantasy. Coming form immigrant grandparents I see the dream being for filled. I see the jewish issue as a distraction. Yes well if you are not willing to work you will not succeed and achieving the American dream. Now granted the dream of 1890 or 1920 or even 1950 is very different than 1990 or now 2015, hard work is the key. We are made stronger nation because of it whether we like it or not. Semper Pi
By #444412 13,Oct,15 02:13
It looks like you've replied to the wrong comment... Also the Latin phrase is Semper Fi...
By bella! [Ignore] 17,Nov,15 22:49 other posts 
To talk4s, what grinds me about you is that you THINK that EVERY comment/post that you make should receive a response. And you THINK that because you don't receive a response is because you don't post any pictures.

Do you really think that members look to see whether you post pictures or if you have a paid membership prior to responding to anyone? I DON'T THINK SO! I know that I *WOULD* look at your profile if you posted something saying something like; "I wonder why no one is befriending me" or "I'm not getting any comments on my pictures"

GET OVER YOURSELF AND STOP YOUR WHINING!
By #435701 20,Nov,15 12:05
I was told that the fact I have no pics is EXACTLY the reason I have no responses. And you yourself are really an annoying person. Just like High School, everybody loves you and you can do no wrong. Please run for Student Council President...I say you also should get over yourself...And if you were to ACTUALLY read my comment about guns and actually THINK about it, you might see it has valid points. You may not agree, but that's your right. And I got over myself around High School age. You apparently did not and enjoy your internet fame on a cock site. Is this the way you get your 15 minutes, BELLA?...Even your name sounds so 'belligerent'.
By bella! [Ignore] 20,Nov,15 18:30 other posts 
talk4s, you were told that the reason you don't receive responses to your posts was because you don't post any pictures? You were TOLD by whom, admin? I call BS!

Often times members that do post pictures will not receive responses to their posts, so how does that make you any different? Oh, that's right, you're special....now get over yourself!

By the way, it looks like you're still sitting on that same pile of points that you've had for months. I hope the points give you comfort and validate your being.
By #435701 23,Nov,15 13:56
Bellowing BELLA...Bellowing here, bellowing there, bellowing in her UNDERWEAR!...bellowing about nothing important...Points? What points?...I don' need no stinkin' points! Do YOU want my points, Bellowing Bella? Caus' ya' can have em'...But, in all seriousness...Not sure that I am the one that thinks himself 'special'...Your reply certainly seems to fit the bill of you thinking yourself as being really, REALLY, special.
Sincerely Yours and nothing special
Talk4s
PS. That piercing all seeing eyeball is kinda' creepy.
T4s
By #420420 17,Nov,15 22:27
Not pissing in your Cheerios, dude, no offense intended to you, but what SANE, NORMAL person thinks of taking a gun, or knife, or car, bomb or whatever, to kill someone?
IF someone wants to kill someone, isn't THAT the issue? Why? If you come down to killing someone, as a 'good idea' you need HELP!!
I think that if you want to kill some, whether specific, or just a group, you are BAT SHT CRAZY and NEED HELP!! The VAST MAJORITY of gun owners in the U.S. aren't nut-jobs, and use them to hunt deer, elk, and game, NOT PEOPLE!!
By #444412 17,Nov,15 23:20
People wanting to do harm is the issue. But that doesn't change the fact that the pervasiveness of firearms in the United States, multiplies the damage that issue causes a hundred fold. According to the study released by Harvard.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 12,May,21 09:51 other posts 
admin I agree with you that there infinite number of ways to kill, but, a gun in your pocket makes it very easy. I'm tired of hearing:

Taking away guns from lawful people, (people who own them legally), means only outlaws & government will have them

The majority of gun deaths are not done by outlaws. Domestic violence is the biggest reason. I noticed some members say our kids haven't been brought up right. Perhaps the parents are to blame? Respect for life starts at home
By admin [Ignore] 12,May,21 10:44 other posts 
Domestic violence is the biggest reason in countries where they have no guns too. They use knives, hatchets and just blunt objects. For example, Russia has one of the highest levels of domestic violence and only few people per year actually use guns for that (most of people there do not have guns, only registered hunters). I doubt that in US guns are much used in domestic violence either.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 12,May,21 14:03 other posts 
Admin. Think again. Domestic violence IS one of it not the biggest cause of gun violence. It’s true that the total domestic violence far outstrips gun violence but it’s true
By admin [Ignore] 12,May,21 14:14 other posts 
You are missing the point. If you take away guns those abusive partners who would have killed their woman with a gun, will just kill her with a knife or a hammer or something else. Which, I must say, is usually much worse death. Being shot is nothing compared to being beaten by a hammer or stabbed with a knife for 2 full hours, since they often don't know how to kill quickly with those. I've seen enough of such cases in countries where guns are not common. On the other hand, with legal guns women can defend against men. Without guns an average woman does not stand a chance against an average male attacker, even unarmed.
By CAT-2 [Ignore] 13,May,21 08:54 other posts 
You are describing a society where people carry a gun all the time. A woman would have a six gun strapped to her with a holster, just in case. Murder, planned or in the heat of the moment, will never be stopped. A gun facilitates the action. The easier it gets, the easier it is to convince yourself to do it. Unpleasant as it may be, to be killed by a knife or a gun makes you just as dead. There are definite advantages available to the victim to survive if the killing has to be at arms length. Take the guns out of the equation and some people will survive. BTW, you equate domestic violence as one woman and one man. Here, in the US, we include fights between men, gang action, and lover’s spats.
By leopoldij [Ignore] 13,May,21 13:05 other posts 
Too many guns, too many killers ...
By tecsan [Ignore] 17,May,21 02:24 other posts 
Yes, this by far has stated the truth...That was stated well better than I could have put it...I hope some take notice...

New Comment   Go to top

Pages:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6  

Show It Off