Discover your full Abilities!

Tired of ads
on this site?

Tons of Trivia!

Discussion Forum on Show It Off

Page #3

Pages:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  

Started by kebmo [Ignore] 05,Aug,18 04:29  other posts
I love trivia. When I was growing up my four brothers, my parents and I would call out "TRIVIA" then state some tidbit of information that we had just read or was related to the current topic of discussion.

If you have a piece of trivia for trivia lovers to enjoy, share it here!!

Make sure you share factual information though.

New Comment       Rating: 0  

Comments:
By GEORGIE10 [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 15:52 other posts 
It does not hail at night
By kebmo [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 03:37 other posts 
I have seen hail at night. I remember a night walking home getting surprised by a hail storm. As it turns out it's very rare though. I only remember seeing it at night once but during the afternoon/early evening (when it usually occurs) dozens of times.

only registered users can see external links
By GEORGIE10 [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 06:41 other posts 
I stand corrected
By bella! [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 09:04 other posts 
Well, I'm sure you have seen many things within your 114 years of life.

By SAGGY_GRANNY [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 07:55 other posts 
The Spanish national anthem has no words
By kebmo [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 03:58 other posts 
The "Marcha Real" (Royal March) is the national anthem of Spain. It is one of only four national anthems in the world (along with those of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, and San Marino) that has no official lyrics (although it had lyrics in the past, they are no longer used).

This is the Spanish National Anthem with lyrics, that are no longer used.

By SAGGY_GRANNY [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 07:39 other posts 

Good morning
By bella! [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 09:02 other posts 
Gee, it's odd that there is a national without words but what is more odd, is that Marcha Real HAD WORDS and the decision was made to drop them.

By GEORGIE10 [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 15:44 other posts 
Honey, despite what's on the jar, does not have an expiration date!
By kebmo [Ignore] 30,Aug,20 03:43 other posts 
This is a great article about that. It must be in a sealed container though. I've heard about honey being found in Mideast tombs.

By kebmo [Ignore] 08,May,20 05:49 other posts 
Laundry detergents don't expire, they break down, which can happen six months after opening and 9 months to a year if left unopened.
-Good Housekeeping
By SAGGY_GRANNY [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 07:46 other posts 
Interesting
By #188992 29,Aug,20 07:48
I make my own: 1 cup of Soda crystals, 1 cup of Borax and grate a bar of unscented soap. Fabric conditioner: white vinegar with a few drops of peppermint oil. Bollocks to Unilever and the other big business purveyors!
By bella! [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 08:01 other posts 
I've watched several YouTube videos on how to make but I must say, the process looks somewhat tedious and based on the recipes, the yield give me one hundred years of clean clothes and I'm not going to live that many more years.

I've got time on my hands, maybe I will make a holiday batch and give it as a gift!
By #188992 29,Aug,20 08:04
All our ads over here, for these "marvellous" laundry detergents, have these multi-coloured pods and other gimmicks. The clincher, for me, is at the end they warn you to keep them away from kids.

They make them look appealing, and like sweets (candy for you!), and they're toxic if you put them in your mouth. Bonkers!

I make enough, from one bar of soap and the borax and soda, to last a month or so.
By bella! [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 08:28 other posts 
I must say, I am one who just purchased the multicolored pods that you spoke about. Why? CONVENIENCE!

When you have time, share your recipe, please. Maybe your recipe will inspire me to make my own.
By #188992 29,Aug,20 08:38
By bella! [Ignore] 29,Aug,20 09:09 other posts 
Thank you.

Your recipe says mason jar, the recipes I saw were made in 5 gallon buckets. The suggested use of two tablespoons to 1/4 cup of soap and coming from a mason jar sounds workable for me.
By #188992 29,Aug,20 09:12
You're welcome! Make a batch and see how you get on.

PS. it's only my choice to use unscented soap. Kinder on my skin!

By kebmo [Ignore] 08,May,20 05:27 other posts 
Canada does not have a Statute of Limitations.

By kebmo [Ignore] 25,Dec,19 01:13 other posts 
In Canada about 14 people die in avalanches every year.

-CTV News

By #551147 03,Dec,19 03:40
Per the United States Presidential candidate, Michael Bloomberg, China's President is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT a Dictator, Xi Jinping listens to his constituents...
By kebmo [Ignore] 03,Dec,19 04:54 other posts 
Not the ones in Hong Kong!
By #601496 03,Dec,19 06:53
Hong Kong's troubles are a direct result of the UK's honorable actions. Just once they should have stayed in one of their holdings.
By #601496 03,Dec,19 06:51
I think Xi Jinping would make a better President than the current clown.
By #551147 03,Dec,19 10:07
🙄 You would say something like that!

Even more fucked up is, I DON'T believe you're just being flippant either.
By #601496 03,Dec,19 12:01
How little you know me. Sigh........
--------------------------------------- added after 6 minutes

How did Sherry Ann put it? THIS is why I adore you! (One reason).

By kebmo [Ignore] 03,Dec,19 02:13 other posts 
"116,000 Canadians are buried over seas."

-Speaker of the house of Commons, Geoff Regan
By #601496 03,Dec,19 07:03
We forget here in the States that Canadians have fought shoulder to shoulder with us in every major war in the 20th century.

By kebmo [Ignore] 03,Dec,19 02:16 other posts 
From December 2013:

"Meals on Wheels has never missed a delivery in it's 48 years in Calgary".
-CTV news

That's impressive!!
By #601496 03,Dec,19 06:54
Wow, Keb, I thought you were a cook?

By kebmo [Ignore] 11,Jan,19 14:03 other posts 
Thirteen US States are entirely north of the southern most point in Canada, Middle Island.

Middle Island: only registered users can see external links

Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.
By #23212 27,Jan,19 01:19
And interestingly, Middle Island, Ontario--41.7º N. Latitude, is approx. the same Latitude as Mt. Shasta, California--41.3º North.
By #601496 27,Oct,19 14:47
The southernmost point in the continental USA is in Key West, but, the southernmost point in the United States is in Ka Lae in Hawaii

By kebmo [Ignore] 01,Oct,19 03:18 other posts 
"The US Civil War killed more Americans than all other foreign wars combined".

-CBC News
By #601496 26,Oct,19 16:42
I can't figure out why there's still people flying the Confederate flag. A flag of a nation defeated in war, based on the enslavement of people and out of existence 169 years.
By phart [Ignore] 26,Oct,19 19:26 other posts 
Soory for the Highjack Kembo but sometimes ,Some fly it to remember the fallen that were family. I personally feel like it is important for us to remember most of the folks that died under that flag could not afford a slave and were simply trying to protect their homes and familys and get away from the taxation of the north.If Sherman and his men went thru your town and burned it to the ground,I would bet you would be willing to fight against them as well regardless of slaves,taxes or anything else.
about 40 miles from here is a house that still to this day has the horse hoof prints in the hardwood floors. The general rode his horse thru the house and kept it in a room at night while the yanks were in the area.
Why should we forget the people that suffered from the wrath of the yanks raping the women and k1ds and killing livestock,burning towns? why? And don't forget those damned carpet baggers that came down here and finished off alot of southerns taking their money and everything else they could.I hope there is a specail place in hell for Sherman and his kind

Sadly some fly it for the sake of hatred.No excuse for that
By #601496 26,Oct,19 20:05
In any war the average soldier just fights. He's not given a choice.
The objects and purpose of the Sons of Confederate Veterans is "to encourage the preservation of history, perpetuate the hallowed memories of brave men, to assist in the observance of Confederate Memorial Day, to aid and support all members, and to perpetuate the record of the services of every Southern soldier."[1] Significant debate has occurred on whether their views represent an accurate interpretation of history[7] or a deliberate distortion of history based on Lost Cause of the Confederacy ideology.[8] A project of the group, the National Confederate Museum, has continued this debate with supporters claiming the museum "will be out of the reach of the long arm of political correctness." It is due to open during 2019.[9] Detractors have stated that "casting the Confederacy as a honorable force standing strong against Northern aggressors is a willful misreading of the historical truth that the institution of slavery was at the core of the Civil War."[10]

This can be found on line. While I'm sure there's many dedecendants of confederate soldiers, the war was not an honorable one for the south. Taxation was not an issue. The south made good profits from the sale of cotton.
The main reason was
As the first state to secede, South Carolina's “Declarations” established precedent and unabashedly claimed that the primary reason for secession remained the refusal of northern states to comply with the Fugitive Slave Act and the Dred Scott (1857) decision.
They fought to keep an agricultural society that could only survive financially by having slaves.
If you think remembering family members that fell in that war, that despicable flag should not be it's symbol.
Think about this. German people proudly displaying the Nazi flag because a family member died defending Auschweiz
--------------------------------------- added after 8 minutes

BTW, Sherman was a horrible person. He was a butcher and his troops, today, would have been charge as war criminals. Having said that, not only was he effective, he shortened the war considerably. His boss, Grant, was a butcher too.
By phart [Ignore] 26,Oct,19 21:10 other posts 
Read the history from some books printed before about 1950 or so.
IF the south coulda held out a while longer,alot of yanks died of sexualy tranmitted deseases.
Sadly the owner of the books I was able to read a little from on a weekend passed away and the books are gone.Or I could copy and paste.
By #601496 26,Oct,19 21:20
Phart, really? Are you saying the north would have lost the war because of STDs?
First, if true, it doesn't speak well of southern women or their men. The pox was rampant in the south? Souther belles were whores?
Don't you think these books were propaganda left over from some sick minded individuals?
I can see it now. Sir, why do you display the Confederate flag? Because my great great grandma was a whore who tried to infect as many of them there damn Yankees as possible. She made sure Sherman and his bunch knew her
By phart [Ignore] 27,Oct,19 08:52 other posts 
No,you got it wrong again.
The French must have felt like the south had a cause as they were on the Canadian border set to atack from that side.
Some Hawaians joined in .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_and_the_American_Civil_War

At least 40 Australians got involved
It was also news to me that Russia was getting involved! Wow.
The books I was referring to were printed in the 1880's and were first hand accounts from soilders and family members.It was about 20 books with marroon covers kinda like a set of encyclopedias.The lady that had them when I met her was 98 years old and she was in the Daughters of confederate veterans.Best I can remember the books were the result of alot of hard work by women back then that wanted the truth documented..She also had a set of similar books covering WW1 ,which is another war for whatever reason the PC crowd wants forgotten.It's monuments will be next I guess.
You go back in history a bit and remember Eisenhower wanted people to see and remembr the truth about the jews and the torture.Similar thing.History wants to deny it ever happened.
By #601496 27,Oct,19 09:04
Doesn't that tell you anything? The Daughters of the Confederacy are bias as the most biased group ever. In the 1880's, they were going through reconstruction. A real bad time for the south.
The French had a vested interest for the south to win. Do some research and you'll see the French liked to buy cotton at a better price than through wholesalers in the north. Cotton was a worldwide wonder material when processed. There were no man made cloth then.
In any war, there are men that like to be in it. They love to be in harm's way.
World War I was eclipsed by WWII. It was a useless war that not only did not solve anything, but, it was the reason for WWII.

By kebmo [Ignore] 18,Oct,19 04:35 other posts 
I just heard on the news that Russia’s economy is smaller than the economy of Texas!!
By #601496 26,Oct,19 16:37
Yeah, yeah, yeah. In Texas, everything is bigger. Even dumbasses
By kebmo [Ignore] 26,Oct,19 20:21 other posts 
Considering the population comparison of 146M to 29M it's very substantial.
It seems that Texan cocks are nicer too. I've noticed that over the years that I've been here. My personal choice, not statistically.
By #601496 26,Oct,19 20:43
Cock for cock they do have some very nice ones, but, it's still a matter of choice.

By kebmo [Ignore] 22,Sep,19 13:24 other posts 
During WW1, a third of deaths in the USAF happened during training.
-Smithsonian Channel
By mr_blue [Ignore] 22,Sep,19 13:43 other posts 
I thought the us air f0rce was created in 1947..
By kebmo [Ignore] 22,Sep,19 14:49 other posts 
It may not have been called the USAF then but it was the guys flying the planes.
By #601496 26,Oct,19 16:53
The USAF waw separated from the Army in 1947. That was the Army Air Corp b4.
The La Fayette Escadrille (French: Escadrille de La Fayette) was a U.S. unit constituted in 1916 under French command, made up of volunteers who came forward to fight for France during World War I. The escadrille of the Aéronautique Militaire was composed largely of American volunteer pilots flying fighters.
Later, when America joined the war, they became part of the Army Air Corp. Many new recruits died learning how to fly

By kebmo [Ignore] 15,Oct,18 03:39 other posts 
The answer to the question, can you smell in your sieep, is quite simply, no. As it turns out, the phrase wake up and smell the coffee is more true than you would imagine. When you are asleep, your sense of smell shuts down. You can only smell the coffee after you have woken up.

-Read on internet so it must be true.
By #372661 27,Jan,19 10:19
Guess that's why smoke detectors are so important.
By #601496 26,Oct,19 16:44
Is that because it tells you when the coffee is ready?
By #551482 22,Sep,19 17:16
I´m not so sure. I liked to hold a crunchy dog biscuit under my dog´s nose when he was asleep and watch him going from "snore" mode to "nose twitch twitch sniff sniff mm yummy" mode and then wake up and munch.
By kebmo [Ignore] 22,Sep,19 17:26 other posts 
Bigg,if you Google it separately it says that humans can't but dogs can smell in their sleep.

New Comment   Go to top

Pages:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  

Show It Off